Share | 

Round 2...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Round 2...   Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:48 am

1) Are you satisfied with the number of garnets you have?

2) What's your reaction in Henry leaving and metsrus staying?

3) What do you think about the next main match?

4) Any strategy in planning how to win the game?

5) Would you be wanting to work with the same people again or with new people?
Back to top Go down
http://thegeniusimdb.forumotion.com
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:28 pm

1) Are you satisfied with the number of garnets you have?

Not especially, but it also means I'm not going to be targeted for garnets alone. So, not the worst thing in the game.

2) What's your reaction in Henry leaving and metsrus staying?

It expected it, I think pretty much everyone did. Someone needs to be eliminated each round, so fair enough. Takes a variable (that could work for or against me) out of the game, but otherwise doesn't affect me much.

3) What do you think about the next main match?

Kind of a 'roided up version of musical chairs, I guess. I like it, I just wish we knew how you'd assign numbers. It'll be a huge mess.

4) Any strategy in planning how to win the game?

Try to get within 5 of each other, try to find the other 2, and go for it. Swap seats to break up runs if it the game ending would put one of us at a disadvantage. I'll think more before it starts, but now it's just trying to get good numbers.

5) Would you be wanting to work with the same people again or with new people?

I'm happy with the people I'm working with, but am a little annoyed at Pete for just outright choosing a number without consulting us, which then limits what Switza and I can do (especially with Than and Dana also choosing, so certain sequences may already be blocked, but wouldn't be blocked if Pete conferred first). Still, minor issue. I don't trust Sam, but I'm fine with working with her if Switza brings her in. I don't trust Mets, but I want to work with him. And... yeah.
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:35 pm

Your number is "9"
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:28 am

Question: can the straights be in reverse order? (see: what Pete said in the Pete/Switza/Tomcat thread)
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:54 am

Tomcat Murr wrote:
Question: can the straights be in reverse order?  (see: what Pete said in the Pete/Switza/Tomcat thread)

Yes, they can
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:08 am

Shouldn't the straight be 5, since Than was 11 and Duck was 1 (and it carries over)? 11-1-2-3-4

Unless someone was lying
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:15 am

Tomcat Murr wrote:
Shouldn't the straight be 5, since Than was 11 and Duck was 1 (and it carries over)?  11-1-2-3-4

Unless someone was lying

Nope, the straight is 4.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:20 am

When we get a straight of 5, is the win for the placement that round is achieved, or for the next round?

ie: if someone in our straight were X round 7, would that mean we wouldn't win during round 6 (when we placed the straight and no one was X)?

Basically, if *theoretically* Than were 11 last round and we did have a straight of 5, but he's X this round, would that mean we have to wait until next round for the win?
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:23 am

Tomcat Murr wrote:
When we get a straight of 5, is the win for the placement that round is achieved, or for the next round?

ie: if someone in our straight were X round 7, would that mean we wouldn't win during round 6 (when we placed the straight and no one was X)?  

Basically, if *theoretically* Than were 11 last round and we did have a straight of 5, but he's X this round, would that mean we have to wait until next round for the win?

nope, you follow the numbers for that round. so if u are 6 this round, by the end of the round, if you are in the straight of 5, your number is 6.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:23 am

Alright, got it.

One more question: does it go in a circle (with L connected to A) like the show?
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:24 am

Tomcat Murr wrote:
Alright, got it.

One more question: does it go in a circle (with L connected to A) like the show?

yes, it does.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:29 am

Thank you - figured (you said it in the rules), just wanted to clarify. Sorry we're being annoying (Pete is kind of annoying me atm - so much effort for what seemed like such a simple play).
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:30 am

No worries. It's good to ask questions. But only if you are asking the correct ones. haha.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 am

There are plenty of questions I would ask about this set-up, but you wouldn't/couldn't fairly answer them.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US. Not that I care (holidays suck), but board traffic may be slow.

So, I guess I "won" the challenge. I wish I could claim that was intentional, my devious plan all along... but no. It just happened that way. It was the best way to end it ASAP while everyone was safe. It was a difficult challenge, though - figuring out numbers, where everyone fits, while not everyone was around at the the same time (and some were barely on at all).

I guess I'll use this as a chance to talk about my alliance. I like my alliance. Switza and Pete could be lying, it could be a set-up, but I doubt it. I'd never talked to Pete before this game but, despite my minor annoyance earlier, he's great. I'm glad to be working with him, and it's been cool getting to talk to him. And to be fair, the thing that annoyed me... well, it's something I sometimes do, too. It wouldn't surprise me if he's been annoyed with me for the exact same reason (for me doing the same thing). So, fair enough.

There's always that "hey, man... you and me, final 2 (or 3, 4, etc...)" thing. People making all sorts of promises. I hate that. General rule of life and the internet: the quicker someone is to promise anything, the quicker they are to break that and screw you over. In a game like this, ya know... it's a game. So what if you screw someone over/they screw you over? It's a game, not a big deal. So I especially don't trust when someone tries to promise otherwise too soon (I know they don't take it THAT seriously, so if they say a promise like it's VERY serious, it's obviously crap). ANYWAY... neither Pete nor Switza have done that, so I trust them. I'm more than happy with letting it get down to our core (or whatever our core may become), and from there everyone playing it round by round.

It's strange playing a game with Switza... He's hosted one I was in, I've co-hosted one of his, and now we're working together both as players in a game. Laughing Adam is good people.

And... I think that's it for right now.
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:45 am

Some questions.

1) How do you feel about the Main Match overall?

2) What is your opinion about garnets in the game?

3) What do you think about Blake choosing Dana for the Death Match?

4) What do you think about the Death Match?

5) Who do you hope to survive the Death Match?
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:49 am

1) How do you feel about the Main Match overall?

It was a lot of running around gathering information, then a lot of nothing, then BAM! It was a really cool challenge... relying on trusting people so much, and working with everyone. Admittedly, that's usually my Achilles' heel in challenges... working with people. If I can zone out in my own world and do it on my own, I'm good... when I'm listening to other people, coordinating with other people... my brain becomes mush, I lose focus and get confused, etc... So I'm kind of training myself to work with others (one reason I'm happy my alliance is good). That's not a bad thing... makes it more challenging.

2) What is your opinion about garnets in the game?

You need them (at least at some point), but they can also make you a target... and winning so many can cause suspicion to arise. Double edge sword. It's difficult finding the perfect balance... you can err on one side or the other, but inevitably that's gonna screw you over at some point.

3) What do you think about Blake choosing Dana for the Death Match?

Makes sense. I figured Nat, but Dana wasn't low on my list of people I thought he'd pick. She's not with him, I gather he's noticed she's with a larger group, but she's not the most protected or the biggest challenge threat.

4) What do you think about the Death Match?

It's largely individual. Blake would do well to not tell anyone his password... Dana could tell people, but there's the risk of someone telling Blake.

5) Who do you hope to survive the Death Match?

Getting Blake out of the game wouldn't be bad, since he's a variable I can't even begin to predict. Getting Dana out of the game wouldn't be bad, because she's another number for our larger alliance (while still keeping a majority). So... I'm not sure. Either should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:17 am

I'd like to give 1 garnet to Nat (Wolf).
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:42 am

ok, it will be given at the start of next round
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:40 pm

So, realistically, this challenge is probably pretty easy and shouldn't take long.  Playing it conservatively, 12 questions should do it.  Relying on a bit of luck, could feasibly figure it out in fewer.  There's probably a better approach I haven't thought of to make it even quicker and with absolute certainty.  I guess the problem is that questioning is limited - ask a question with multiple answers, and there are multiple lies than can be told... so you may eliminate one possibility, but there will still be others, and you can't keep wasting questions on that.  That's where I've hit a dead-end on trying to find sure-fire shortcuts.  And any shortcuts there may be could be dead-ends, depending on the password.  Also, if 0 is included (which I don't know/wasn't mentioned in the rules).  You could also start out asking about the password as one number, to figure out the first number and reasonably guestimate others in the sequence.  

I feel bad about effectively letting Dana lose (she may win, but let's face it - Blake is smart, and she probably won't).  She is in our alliance, and we could probably help her win - or at least stand a fighting chance against Blake - if we were to give her all of our thoughts/considerations.  Yes, she's a number for others to use and eventually turn on us, but sooner or later all alliances will flip and become a mess, so taking her out of the equation is almost begging for someone else to be brought in (and probably covertly).  

Ultimately, I need to go with who I talk to and trust the most, which is Adam and Pete.  I don't want to totally alienate them.  Even if we're under fire, they're 2 people I can reasonably trust to help out.

I was curious so looked up a Wiki explaining this challenge... the person writing it used very long mathematical equations for process of elimination.  In the game, the approach is more reasonable, but all over the place.  For example, asking if the sum of the 2 lowest numbers is greater than 8, and the answer is no (yes), the sum has to be 9.  Without knowing the lowest number - and that it is the lowest number - it's useless (but to add up to 9, the lowest number then couldn't be higher than 4)... so you'd still need to start at the bottom and find the lowest number, but then you'd know every other number in the sequence is higher than that number plus whatever adds up to 9 (so, if the lowest number is 2, you know the 2nd lowest is 7, and the other 2 are 7 or higher).  So really, you're only ruling out 5 and 6 if the lowest number is 4, but if the lowest number is 1, you know every other number is 8 or 9 (which would help A LOT).  If the answer is yes (no), it doesn't help at all.  In that case, it could be any number combination that adds to less than 8.  So that's all a huge gamble (but could pay off BIG TIME if you get it right).  But then there's still the issue that if the sum IS 8, saying both "greater" and "less" would both be lies, so you're setting yourself up to be misdirected (and a whole plethora of misdirected assumptions may follow).  That seems a huge part of the challenge... phrasing questions in a way that can't give your opponent the option to give a totally misleading (but straighforward) answer.  Without being able to predict the other player's password, and what questions will be wasted and which won't, it seems a methodical approach (that has consistency) is better, while creating your own password to not allow your opponent to find a general rule or eliminate a large amount of numbers with 1 question.

I'm putting way too much thought into a challenge I'm not even playing.  I feel like I should be helping Dana out more than I am, and it's eating at me a little.  At this point, I am rooting for her.  But I can't help her without going against Adam and Pete (which I'm fine with, as that's where my loyalty lies... but it's still a crap situation, effectively throwing someone on your side under the bus when you COULD help them - maybe... Blake might have a brilliant strategy that blows everyone away, and I hope he does - just so that I know even if we helped her in full, she still would've lost).   I still think she should just go for the kill and not gamble with what may be dead-end/wasted questions.

Last edited by Tomcat Murr on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:39 pm

loving the enthusiasm though and the thought process. hope you've been enjoying the game so far.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Yeah, it's been a lot of fun. And you're doing a great job of it. Hope you're feeling better after being sick, btw.
Back to top Go down
Bandage Man
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:40 am

yeah, feeling much better now. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:06 pm

And sure enough, Blake has an amazing strategy. Wow.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:32 pm

... and Dana didn't. Why didn't she just evade/deflect and give him a number not in her password instead? That safety net was built into the rules, that you could not answer, and the penalty would effectively be similar to making him cycle through numbers.

Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 2...   

Back to top Go down

Round 2...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next