Share | 

Match 7: PAT plays a board game

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:07 am

soullimbo wrote:
Yeah !! This all worked out pretty sweet !!

OK , I've read through the rules a few times, asked a few questions etc...but it all seems pretty straight forward.

The only thing is that, if we all pick the same characters, then there are fewer coins for that character left in the "leftover 21 coins"

Also, Mas is very much dependant on everyone showing up at that time...8pm ET is 1am for me, which is ok, but how long with the challenge last ? and Than is in france, so it's 2am for him. Or did I misread it , thinking he wanted everyone there so it was like a death match but with 7 people ?

Anyway - 5 characters , we each pick 2
there are 7 players / 7 coins for each character . So in theory , all players could pick the same one, and there would be no coins left for that character once the race starts lol
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:14 am

So, basically, each coin represents a character.  And we're randomly given coins with different characters, then we also select 2.  So it's a matter of placing the coins for that character on the space we want them to move.

It would make sense for all of us to pick 1 character (Than, too, hopefully), and all put that character on the 3 space.  Then all pick a different character and spread them apart.  Or do we pick the same 2 characters, put them all on 3 and 2, and let someone else's placement decide which wins out?

Taking the characters out of the leftover isn't a bad idea, just because there's no guarantee we'd get those - there is a guarantee we'd get them if we choose them. Or would we have to place those first, then other people would see where they're placed and could counter it?
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:19 am

Ohhh... sorry, reread. So if we all pick the same character, we won't have enough coins remaining to move them.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:20 am

OK , 3 of us, plus than , 4 players. Plus info from Nat,maybe.
5 possible characters.
here are the combinations available to all of us, we just have to make we all pick a different one , or alternatively, ensuring that no character is picked more than twice between the 4 of us (possibly 5 if we can get info from Nat)

Vampire / Jiangshi
Jiangshi / Mummy  ---------- THAN
Mummy / Zombie -----------ADAM
Zombie / Gumiho ------------PETE
Vampire / Gumiho -----------TOMCAT
Vampire / Mummy    
Jiangshi / Zombie    
Mummy / Gumiho
Vampire / Zombie      
Jiangshi / Gumiho

Last edited by soullimbo on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:26 am

Than has already indicated that he would like Jiangshi + Mummy

I had to reply, and said I would take Zombie + Gumiho
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:35 am

Alright. The problem with everyone picking a different combo is not all of us will necessarily score any points.

There should be 7 of each coin. If we 3 were to pick the same, there would be 4 left to play... but it would be a matter of who else gets them each round and how they play them.

But if, for example:

Tom - Vampire / Gumiho
Adam - Vampire / Zombie
Pete - Zombie / Mummy

Then there would be 5 vampire and 5 zombie coins left in play, and we could all spread them accordingly (with Gumiho and Mummy being throwaways). Of course, that doesn't take into account what others pick... probably best to try to figure that out first. Nat and Sam will probably work together, and Mets might because he has to work with someone (or symbiotically play off someone else's strategy).

Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:44 am

Quote :
There should be 7 of each coin. If we 3 were to pick the same, there would be 4 left to play... but it would be a matter of who else gets them each round and how they play them.

You're just making the assumption that none of the other 3 players (nat/sam/mets) are gonna pick that character too.....if 2 of them pick it, suddenly there are only 2 coins left for that character

it really all depends on how the others pick...and we have no way finding that out, except maybe nat...

but we're reaching a point in the game where it's becoming increasingly difficult to guarantee everyone's safety...perhaps we should focus on one person winning (they get the token of life) ,while trying to make sure none of us finishes last. I know it's a lot of ifs and buts etc, but it makes sense.

Last edited by soullimbo on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:47 am

Right. Which is why I want to find out a good way to get Nat and Sam's choices. I might propose the same idea I did above (the split) and then, if it works, pick one that fits their split (so they can't call me out), then we can use that info to choose ours.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:05 pm

http://ikshow.net/shows/the-genius-grand-final-s4/episode-2/

The game on the show. Rules start around 10 minutes. I'm gonna go through slowly/off and on when I can and see if I get anything good. If either of you have the time, not a bad idea to watch and see.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:00 pm

Pete, please don't skip a turn.  That person who skips doesn't just get moved to the end; they just become the last person and the person after them becomes the first.  Which would mean Adam, Than, and I would be near the beginning, so there would be no last play advantage (or, there would, but destroying our chain of 3 at the end).  Depending on how much people skip, it might make more sense - if there is a skipped turn - to have it be Adam or Than (I'll reimburse garnets if that's *necessary*).

Also, I opened a dialog about this match with Nat. See where it goes when he responds.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Yeah, I know, don't worry Wink,I was only asking in the eventuality that we would have to use this tool.
I've watched the video you put up, and it basically confirms most of what we have discussed already. The fact that if too many of us choose the same character, then there won;t be many of that character's coins left in the bag. Also, obviously , the players in position 6 and 7 are the game changers. Hopefully no-one will skip their turn during the first round, which means we have 2 rounds with players in last , to really take control of the game. If someone does skip their turn, even after round 2, then I can convince than to skip again so that we have that position once more, and by then the game will be in the bag.....in theory lolol
Back to top Go down
switza

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:12 pm

I reopened my room with mets. Not sure if I'll get any info or not. I just said we should pick 4 unique creatures between us to keep the odds high of lots of coins to move.

We'll see if he gives me anything.
Back to top Go down
switza

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:20 pm

I'll go mummy/zombie. That will leave untouched vampire for tomcat and then either gumiho or jianshi. So we'll have 2 with 6 max coins and 3 with 5 max to move around with.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm still waiting to hear from Nat and will decide probably last minute. Hopefully I can get more info - if I do, I'll post it here immediately, so keep an eye out a few minutes before the challenge starts, in case I get Nat and Sam's and there's too much overlap with yours.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Eh, doesn't look like that's happening and I don't want to give Mas a last-minute headache. I'm going with Gumiho, because 1.) I like foxes and a 9-tailed man-eating fox sounds pretty badass, 2.) it sounds funny if you mispronounce it, and 3.) the last part sounds like "mijo", which must be a good omen.

Neutral

And so Pete and I can figure out what to do without finding a sneaky way of relaying everything to Than.

Vampire / Gumiho
Back to top Go down
switza

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Mets said he went gumiho-jiangshi but his first move put 2 vampires on space 3.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:56 pm

early days, could be a bluff. If he did pick Gumiho, then that's at least 3 people with that character...not good for me lol
Back to top Go down
switza

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:32 pm

His 2 vampire could be a sign Sam is vampire too.
Back to top Go down
switza

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Based on the nature of this match and the holidays, I expect we'll still be going on this one next week. I hate being so impatient.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:52 pm

You're right , it's just the nature of this game which requires the players to be fairly active, in a consecutive order. It doesn't help that the players ( and the host for that matter) are all from different time zones.

As for the game itself, it's actually quite good, and requires a fair bit of careful thinking/planning. We're fortunate so far that we have allies in the last couple of spots, and should be able to control the game as long as nobody skips during the first 2 rounds.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:34 pm

I figured the best strategy when in 3rd place is to try and leave it as even as possible, making it easier for the later players to make a decent play.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Mets said Jiangshi and Gumiho, though I think he mistook our board for his board with Adam. The vampire thing may have been a bluff. I doubt Sam picked vampire, because I don't imagine Nat would then block it.

Which means I could very well be the only vampire (we'll find out at the end of the round), which could either be very good for me (more coins) or VERY bad (if vampire doesn't place, I'm the only one taking that hit). Oi.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:11 pm

updated:

Vampire / Jiangshi
Jiangshi / Mummy ---------- THAN
Mummy / Zombie -----------ADAM
Zombie / Gumiho ------------PETE
Vampire / Gumiho -----------TOMCAT
Jiangshi / Gumiho -----------METS
Vampire / Mummy
Jiangshi / Zombie
Mummy / Gumiho
Vampire / Zombie

Also, because no-one has skipped this round, we'll be able to tell which 4 Sam and Nat have gone for, by process of elimination. It's not looking good for the nine-tailed fox so far though lol
Back to top Go down
Tomcat Murr

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:54 pm

In order for the vampire to move at all, I'm blocking Jiangshi or Zombie.  I'm tempted to tie them up, and whichever there's another coin for will be the winner (placed by Adam or Than).  Thoughts? It does mean whoever would HAVE TO place the coin there, otherwise neither moves.

Gumiho should have a lock on moving 2 spaces, so that's good.  If mummies come up, probably a good idea to throw them on 1 (except unless it ties with Jianshi - if someone draws 3 mummies, though... awesome).  Making everything tie up in the middle probably isn't the best strategy, because we ultimately end up needing to actively block each other one way or another.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:07 pm

it's only the first round....but it may be a good idea not show your hand , if your suspicion is right about you being the only (or one of 2) vampires
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Match 7: PAT plays a board game   

Back to top Go down

Match 7: PAT plays a board game
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next